Bow tie diagram
Visio shapes stencil and template
for Microsoft ® Visio ® 2003/2007/2010/2013/2016/2019/Microsoft 365 Visio Online Plan 1 and Plan 2,
SmartDraw, ConceptDraw Pro, Lucidchart Pro, MyDraw, Omnigraffle Pro, and Libre Office
Bow tie diagrams
Bow tie diagrams are used in many parts of business and industry as a tool for conducting safety and risk assessments and the analysis, prevention and mitigation of risks.
This stencil contains 10 shapes in 1 stencils (1 metric and 1 US units) for creating risk analysis bow tie diagrams very quickly within Microsoft Visio, ideal for presentations, management overviews and safety manuals.
The template controls routing of connectors.
These shapes can also show different levels of threat, hazard etc by changing the shape border to, for example, red, yellow or green.
Watch a video of a diagram being created with these shapes
Download a free trial containing some demonstration sample shapes
1. MSI installer file for Visio 2013, 2016 and 2019
After downloading this software, look in your downloads folder, right-click on the file and select "Properties". At the bottom of the dialog box will be this message as shown to the right. Ensure "Unblock" is selected.
A Windows installer .msi file for Visio 2013, 2016 and 2019 containing sample shapes in
Visio stencils and two templates (US and metric)
bowtie_sampler.msi Download updated: 24th January 2021 size: 461kB
MSI file installation instructions
- This download is digitally signed for your safety and security.
- Please ensure Visio is closed before installing these shapes.
- Just run the downloaded installer file "bowtie_sampler.msi". Shortcuts to the templates will be added to your desktop, start menu and the Visio start screen. The template and stencils will be found under the category "Bowtie sampler".
- After installation you will find the templates on your Start menu like this:
- and you will find the new shapes in Visio like this:
2. Zip file for Visio 2003, 2007, 2010, Visio Online Plan 1 and Plan 2 and all other applications
A zip file containing sample stencils and templates in VSS, VSX, VSSX and VSDX formats as well as installation instructions. Create a folder named Bowtie in your My Documents -> My Shapes folder and unzip this file into that folder. Use the stencil format that works best in your version of Visio.
bowtie_sampler.zip Download updated: 23rd January 2021 size: 233kB
After installation you will find the new shapes like this:
This software works with:
- Microsoft Visio 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 or 2019 (any version, Standard, Professional or Premium)
- Microsoft 365 Visio Online Plan 1 and Plan 2.
- ConceptDraw Pro on Mac OSX and Windows.
- Lucidchart Pro.
- Omnigraffle Pro on the Mac and iPad.
- Libre Office Draw.
VersionThe current version is V2.24.0 dated 15th January 2021.
BuyTo purchase an instant download 24 hours per day please use the Buy Now button below to go to our buy pages which are all hosted on secure servers at our eCommerce provider, PayPro Global. You can order by credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer, bank debit, wire transfer, money order, PayPal, or via telephone, fax, or by post. Sorry, we no longer accept purchase orders. The online purchase process normally takes just 5 to 10 minutes.
Prices are shown below and you can save money with volume discounts and bundles. All prices are exclusive of local taxes where applicable. There are no hidden extras, no delivery charges, subscriptions, annual fees or similar.
Use the Buy Now button for full international pricing.
You will receive an email containing a download link and registration key. These will take you to a web page where you can download the software.
Information on Educational and Commercial Site licenses.
Recent new/changed shapes
|V2.24||Jan 2021||Improved text resizing|
|V2.23||Sep 2020||Added files suitable for use with Microsoft 365 Plan 1 Visio and Libre Office Draw|
|V2.22||Nov 2019||Improved installers to include all file formats (vss, vsx and vssx)|
|V2.21||Apr 2019||Improved text location and sizing on Control shape
Removed unused control on shapes
|V2/17||Jun 2017||Added vertical connector shape|